My latest in a series of the weekly, or more often, summary of interesting links I come across related to Visual Studio.
After an unusually long break between posts due to the spectacular hardware failure of my primary dev box (complete with sparks and a little smoke) and the holiday here in the US, I am back. I have a few weeks of links so this will be a huge post but next week the link posts will be back to normal.
- Tip #354 covers the Code Definition Window
- Tip #355 covers the Content Installer
- Tip #356 show how to install snippets with the content installer.
- Tip #358 shows how to display a license in the content installer. I didn’t know about this one.
- Tip #360 covers using devenv.exe to edit a file using an existing VS instance.
- Tip #361 covers using ctrl+K, ctrl+v to quickly search for objects in your solution.
- Tip #363 explains how to customize the search results display in the Find Results window.
Web Developer Tools Team:
- JScript IntelliSense FAQ
- Workaround for a slow closing of Web projects
- Web Platform Installer
- Where to get the Localized Languages of Silverlight 2 Tools
US ISV Developer Evangelism Team:
- Launching a Smart Client from the Web – With Context!
- Deep Visual Studio Team System Discounts for Partners with ISV Competency
- Visual Studio Discounts Available Through Resellers
- Discover the Internet Explorer 8 Development Tools
- Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 2008 Released
- New Screencast: Adding Tabs to a TabSet in Office 2007 Apps
Brad Abrams announced that MEF Preview 3 Shipped.
Marian Luparu announced that support for C++ projects is being added to MSBuild.
Jonathon Wood has added a few new native programming videos:
- How Do I: Create Ribbon Controls? Part 2
- How Do I: Use HTML Help in MFC? Part 1
- How Do I: Use HTML Help in MFC? Part 2
The Windows SDK Team is looking for feedback on two issues:
- How should 64- and 32-bit apps work on future Operating Systems?
- How should installation and patching work in future versions of Windows?
Web Developer Tools Team:
- Tip #23: Did you know…How to launch Formatting options dialog for editor with 2 clicks?
- Tip #24: Did you know…You could display CSS/HTML errors as warnings or as errors?
- Tip#25: Did you know… You can have canonical URLs and Redirects with IIS 7.0
- Tip #26: Did you know… How to have C# and VB.NET files inside your App_Code directory?
- Tip#27: Did you know… The Microsoft Web Platform Installer RC release supports Windows XP as well as Windows Server 2003
- Tip #28 Did you know… That “Go to definition” is supported for CSS Class?
- Tip #29: Did you know… How to enable Edit and Continue feature for Web Application Projects?
- Tip # 30: Did you know… Ajax Extender controls UI behaves differently in VS 2008 than in VS 2005
VS 2008 KB:
- Hotfix available for In the WPF Designer for Visual Studio 2008, IntelliSense for XAML may stop working after you install the Windows SDK or MSDN
- Hosting a WPF Control in MFC and Enable Cut-and-Paste
- A hotfix rollup is available for WPF Designer
- Workaround available for A pinning pointer passed to variable-argument function causes System.BadImageFormatException.
- Hotfix available for Think times for redirect requests are ignored in Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1 even if the Think profile is turned on.
- Hotfix available for Live semantic analysis incorrectly reports error messages on a computer that has Visual Studio 2008 SP1 installed.
- Hotfix available for Error message when you run an application that is configured to be built for the x64 platform by using the MSVCR90.dll file that calls the strncpy function: “An unhandled win32 exception occurred in ‘application_name’”.
- Hotfix available for After you install a non-English version of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1, some localized IntelliSense text may revert to English.
VS 2005 KB:
- An update is available that lets you use Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1 together with SQL Server 2008
- Hotfix available for The name of a source file may be displayed incorrectly in lowercase letters in Visual Studio 2005.
- Hotfix available for An application that uses the fmod function from the Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 CRT behaves differently on the x64 platform than it does on other platforms.
- Hotfix available for A ZipException exception may occur unexpectedly when you use the ZipFile class of the J# Class Libraries to extract a .zip file in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 or Visual Studio 2005.
- Hotfix available for Error message when you build a project in Visual Studio 2005 SP1 after an .lib file or an .obj file that was built by using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 is added to the project: “Fatal error LNK1103: debugging information corrupt”.
Marlon Grech discussed Avoiding CommandBinding in the XAML Code Behind files.
Nick Randolph explained how to fix an installation error for VS2008 SP1 on Windows 7.